Skip Navigation

History

Thomas Heyward Academy was founded in 1970 by a group of businessmen and parents in the Jasper County area. The academy was named in honor of Thomas Heyward (1746-1809), a signer of the Declaration of Independence.  Thomas Heyward was born in St. Luke's, South Carolina and is buried in Jasper County.

According to our first yearbook, the “Rebel Yell”, Thomas Heyward Academy opened in September 1970 with 278 students and 12 teachers. Wightman Bowden served as Headmaster with Robert Thompson, Henry E. Fickling, Jr., Irma Smith and Patricia Padgett serving on the Board of Directors.  J.E. Horton, Gary Brown, and F. A. Nimmer were among the many influential people to help start Thomas Heyward Academy.

Thomas Heyward Academy will be celebrating 50 years of
continued excellence in Academics, Arts and Athletics in 2020!

Alumni Challenge